You need to replace the #9745 (or #9721 on older 170's) two line WAN IOA
with a #9720 Base WAN/Twinax IOA.  You will need to order the #9720 as a
#2720 and instruct the IBM technician to place it the slot that is
currently occupied by the #9745.

Once this is installed, you wil be able to attach a twinax terminal as the
console.

Michael J. Frederick
Data Processing Solutions, Inc. - AS/400 & Networking Solutions
410-720-3300 x115
www.dpsolutions.com

----------
From: Pat Barber <MBOCEANSIDE@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Console(ation) sought !
Date: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:17 PM

Jon.Paris@halinfo.it wrote:

> Hopefully one of you hardware gurus can advise this software weenie on
this.

> Since my poor old (new actually) model 170 still does not have a
consistently
> working console I'm looking at alternatives.  I there a simple (read
cheap)
> hardware solution open to me that will give me a nice twinax console so
that I
> can sleep at night.  We are currently using the "old-style" serial
console
> support but every so often it dies (for reasons that I won't bore you
with).  So
> far we've been lucky and have still had our TCP/IP network running at the
time
> we needed the console.  Because of this we have been able to reset the
console
> and all has been well.  My fear is that one day the network will die and
the
> console will not come back to life by itself and then I've got a large
black
> veggie on my hands.

I would get a 3489 and a nice SVGA(21") monitor(just kidding about
monitor)

This would give you several sessions and printer support and it very
rarely
fails. This assumes you got a twinax port.

Under $1,000 new.   Under 600 used.
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com