  • Subject: Re: Have you read this(jdedwardsconsult)
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:05:21 -0500

I hate that thing too.

We are on a 170 that has CPW ratings (approx. so don't jump on this) of
30 interactive and 210 batch.

As long as you stay below a certain point in your interactive the whole
machine runs at 210.  If you trip the governor into action the whole
machine drops to 30 (it seems more like 3).  The governor doesn't seem
to care about how many users are logged in to screens - just how much
work they are doing.

On the plus side this means with careful programming and selection of
products that use only Batch for processing I can afford a much faster
machine.

The downside is that if someone runs a cpu intensive program
interactively the whole system is punished.  I have been unable to find
any documentation on what actually causes the governor to kick in, what
keeps in active, etc. etc. etc.  Or even a good way to know when it is
kicking in and there is not some other problem.  I even get different
interactive and what doesn't.  (telnet sessions etc.)

The fact that I purchased a processor that has a limiter on it doesn't
really bother me.  It's no different than buying software with x number
of users licensed.  Sure the software itself could be used by unlimited
users but I only wanted to pay for x.  In this case I actually benefit
because the batch power of this machine is/was surely in the p20 bracket
but is classified as a p10 processor group so I save on other software
costs.

John Hall
Home Sales Co.