  • Subject: Re: LIMITING Programmer ACCES TO LIVE DATA
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:52:01 EST

Larry,

In a message dated 1/7/00 11:01:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, lbolhui@ibm.net
writes:

<<snip>>
> Understand and I've had that as well.  It is frustrating no doubt when the
> customer provides you with less than required to complete the task.  Once
way to
> combat that is a little piece of software I use on my Palm.  Touch the
screen and
> it time stamps and allows comments: "Waiting for authority to compile
program -
> 20 minutes".  When they see that on their bill THATs when they get the
> message.

Now _THERE's_ an idea!  The bad thing is, I try _NOT_ to get too much
authority for both the client's and my own protection.  Far too often I have
a data set in my own library that needs to be deleted when I'm finished
testing an update program, and forgetting to qualify library names when
you've got fifty things going at once is an easy thing to do.  Last site I
wanted authority to STRSRVJOB, they gave me *ALLOBJ instead :( -- the last
few weeks I was walking on pins and needles because they also didn't have
different boxes for development and production.

>  I can't dissagree with the use of version control software but many small
shops
>  can't afford it or don't have time to learn it.  I still feel however, that
>  having a restricted profile for use during most programming activities is
a good
>  safety net. With or without version control.

Very true.  I would just prefer that only one or two people have unrestricted
access, and that anything I need to do of that ilk would be under the
watchful eyes of someone else.  As you said, anyone can make a mistake...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"You cannot put a price tag on love, but you can on all its accessories." --
Melanie Clark