  • Subject: Re: V4R3 to V4R4
  • From: John P Carr <jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:05:02 -0500

        You all might get a kick out of this.

        I had a neat experience the other day(12/30),   I just got my NEW
170 for my
        home(Small business - EdgeTech).

        I had my Daughter's boyfriend there and he's a PC type guy in
College.
        He uses Unix, does web pages, etc.

        We took the 170 out of the box and Erik set the whole thing up.
        He followed the install manual and Connected the cables, UPS,  etc.
He never saw a AS/400 before.

        He did the initial IPL,   and the 170 came up with no
problems(V4R4).
        Erik said it was easier to set up the 170 than it was to set up his
PC server.
        He was amazed.  He loved it.

        I restored a tape from my old V3R1 E02 machine with my software
package(ETIKIT)
        and brought it up.    I showed him the status messages I was
getting.

        "Converting program xxxxxx to 64 bit RISC"

        I told him what it meant,  (Reencapsulating from 48 bit CISC to 64
bit RISC)
        NO SOURCE CODE CHANGES,  NO RECOMPILE,  Nada.

        He was very, very impressed to say the least.
        He wishes that they had one at the University of Delaware (where
        he and my daughter go)  so he could work on it.   Java, etc.

        Thought you'd like to hear the story.

        John Carr
        P.S.    Does anyone have hints to a software guy about things I
should change
        /tailor/config on a new box ???     What ethernet card can I get to
go in my PC
        and how I connect to my ethernet port on the 170 ???
        Email me personally please.   Thanks.

        You can blind-fold yourself with the V4R4 Automatic Install!
        It's the smoothest I've seen since the AS/400 hit the streeets!
        Ed