  • Subject: Re: Sys/36 virtual machine, or OS/400?
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:06:28 -0500

I think it really depends on who wrote/is writing the software

If it is in house then IMHO you should go S36E.  There are very few code
real code changes you need to make in order to run this way.  When we
converted (1993) we had 6 or 7 major applications with about 1000-2000
RPG programs each.  The conversion and testing was done in about 2-3
weeks by two programmers.  Most of the changes we had to make involved
Diskette processing on the S36.  If you run S36E you can convert all the
files to externally described AS400 files and every time you touch a
program you can convert it to RPG/LE. With a large OCL you can make
minor changes for the call to the converted program(s) until you are
ready to convert to CL.

At the very least adding new features and applications will be much
easier since you can write them in native 400.