  • Subject: Re: Sys/36 virtual machine, or OS/400?
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:29:58 -0800

At 10:20 AM 01/06/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>A client is switching to a new AS/400 from his Sys/36.  It is being
>installed in a M36 virtual machine.  Will that allow full OS/400 function,
>including RPGIV, for new development and applications?

Yes, for now.

The *M36 is an environment on RISC hardware where you can "restore" (no,. I
don't know how) a System/36, and run using the programs compiled on the
36.  No source required.  The S36E required source for a recompile.  *M36
supports stuff on the 36 that were never provided in the S36E, like WSU.

The *M36 environment is a "separate system" as a guest on the AS/400.  You
can communicate from the *M36 to the native AS/400 using DDM. (Other
communications options exist too, but DDM is the obvious one.)  The
remainder of the AS/400 is available for OS/400, although you do not have
to load it.  Up to three *M36 environments can run currently.  IBM posted
this as a restriction, although to my knowledge, never enforced it.

IBM has indicated that V4R4 will be the last release for the *M36, which
will screw customers trying to go native.  These customers will be forced
to stay ay V4R4 forever, so they should no longer be paying for software
subscription.  IBM no longer sees the *M36 as a revenue opportunity, so
they don't care any longer.  OfficeVision falls into the same boat.

The *M36 environment became a standard part of OS/400 in V3R7
(mid-release).  Prior to V3R7, you could purchase a Model 236 (which was
really a model 400, before OS/400 was RISC ready) and just run the
*M36.  The Model 436 was a souped up 236 which optionally ran OS/400 too.

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390