From: Jim Langston [mailto:jlangston@conexfreight.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 5:50 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: change password API

My 111 001 example was just that, an example.  Although I do
have source code in C for a lot of encryption programs and
have used them for a PC, I didn't feel like going into the
algorithms used for one, as they are not that easy to grasp.

The only flaw with the random seed sent by the AS/400 to the
PC is that any packet sniffer looking for password packets
can also catch this seed, then catch the password packet and
have the same info as the PC.  Although it is a bit more secure.

The best I think we could hope for would be for the PC to
use the same encryption as the AS/400 for the password, although
this has been shown to be breakable, and pass that to the
AS/400 and just have the AS/400 store the encrypted string
to the user profile without every even attempting to decrypt
it.

I don't think you can put too much security on a 10 character
maximum password.

Regards,

Jim Langston