  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V2 #1707 - New AS/400, now what
  • From: lueke@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:56:44 -0600

From a colleague:

I'll make the assumption that this person has V4R2 (assumption based on her
finding QSYSV4R2M0 library).

Typically at the point this user is they would install their 3rd party
application, which is of course why they purchased the AS/400.

The book shipped with the system at that time was the book she found,
Getting Your AS/400 Working For You.  It does talk about getting the latest
PTFs and following the PTF cover letter to install, it looks like she found
that but wasn't sure if the PTFs are already installed.  My assumption
would be that if PTFs were shipped with her order then they need to be
loaded and applied.

The book tells the user that the latest PTFs are loaded at the time the
system is built, but they are referred to the Basic System Operations book
for more information on PTFs.  In this book there is detailed information
on PTFs, such as doing a query to see which PTFs are already installed.
See the section below, which I took from the Basic System Operations book.

4.5.3.7 Displaying PTF Status

To determine the status of the PTFs for products that are installed and
supported on your system:

   1.Enter the Display PTF (DSPPTF) command and press F4 (Prompt).

   2.Specify the licensed program number and PTF identifier for the product
 (LICPGM) parameter and for the PTF numbers to select (SELECT)
     parameter. If you want to see the status for all the products on the
system, specify *ALL for both parameters and press the Enter key until all
the
     licensed programs are displayed.

   3.The Display Program Temporary Fix display shows the action that will
be taken for a PTF at the next unattended IPL.

Of course since V4R2 we have created the Next Steps which are more specific
 as to what to do next and then at V4R4 and future releases  we do much
more with EZ-Setup.