  • Subject: RE: New AS/400 - Now What?
  • From: "Draper, Dale" <dale.draper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:37:40 -0800

Another little publicized security issue:

Client Access for W95 / NT put named connections on your "network
neighborhood" list. If a user clicks on this they will see a folder called
QSYS.LIB ,  this is basically QGPL via the IFS system.
Most people have security based on green screen applications, via menu
controls, Limit Capabilities *YES, etc.. These green screen limitations DO
NOT apply when accessing the AS400 via FTP, ODBC, IFS via "network
neighborhood" or Operations Navigator.
If a user were to hit the delete key while highlighting QSYS.LIB, all
objects and libraries that they could delete would delete. And this is a LOT
more objects that you or I would like to think is the case. I did some
testing on my Security 40 machine that runs JD Edwards. YIKES! Scary stuff .
I tried changing the AUTL of QPWFSERVER for *PUBLIC to *USE, nope, *PUBLIC
still had authority to objects within this folder (of course).
The ONLY way to secure people from this is to change the AUTL of QPWFSERVER
is to change *Public to *EXCLUDE.

On a command line type:
WRKAUTL AUTL(QPWFSERVER) and hit return, type 2 to edit authority and change
*public to *EXCLUDE.

Client Access Express (V4R2 or higher) does not do this, so those that use
the CA V4R4 do not need to bother with this.

And to reiterate what Jeffrey said, document, document, document. Print out
SYSVAL's at every step and save the spool file under an outq you make called
SYSVAL, do the same for other important items as well. Do a lot of SAVSYS's.
Go through your SYSVAL's, hopefully you have another machine to check it
against? Do not assume that the shipped values are correct.
 But, for about $75-$125 an hour, you can get a professional to come in and
set you up in about 4 hours. I can reccomend a company in the SF Bay Area.

Dale Draper
Sega Enterprises, Inc. (USA)
Dale.Draper@seu.sega.com