  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V2 #1702
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:32:14 -0500

 >> My procedure has a parameter with options(*varsize).  This parameter
receives the value passed in plus some extra characters like procedure name.

I think you perhaps misunderstand the nature of passing parameters by reference,
which is the normal mode for the AS/400.  When you pass a parameter, no data is
passed - rather the called program receives a pointer which effectively says
"the data you want is here".  All that specifying *Varsize does is allow a
parameter smaller than the size specified to be passed.  When you define a parm
as 20 long and only pass a 10 char field, the called routine will see whatever
10 characters happen to follow the parm in memory. There is an implicit
understanding here that the _programmer_ is responsible for determining the
actual length passed.  Think of QCMDEXC where the parameter string _and_ the
length of the string are passed. While you could use operational descriptors and
APIs, this is probably overkill. So a number of possible solutions:

1) Use VALUE for the parameter if passing it to a subprocedure and remove the
*VARSIZE option

2) Use CONST without *VARSIZE - the compiler will move a small field to a larger
one - padding with blanks as it goes.

3) If on release V4R4 then use Varying length fields for the parameters assuming
that you can use the same definition in the called routine

4) Do like QCMDEXC does and pass the actual length of the parm as well as the
parm itself and then deal with the length in the called program.

  Hope this helps.