  • Subject: RE: Mirroring AS400's
  • From: Christina Beneteau <CBeneteau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:05:12 -0600

Vanja,

Please share your trick.
Christy

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Vanja Jovic [SMTP:vanja@ecn.ab.ca]
        Sent:   Wednesday, November 03, 1999 11:54 PM
        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

        Terry,

        OMS/400 can't handle "double side" updates and inserts, because
it
        mirrors based on relative record number. However, there is a
simple
        trick to achieve updates on both machines and even perform
backup at the
        same time. If you need details, let me know.

        Vanja Jovic,
        Canada

        Terry Herrin wrote:

        > Christina Beneteau wrote:
        > > original database.  After the backup and nightly processing
then these
        > > databases would need to be brought back into sync.  There
would be
        > > changes in both databases, is there such a thing as two way
mirroring?
        > > Has anyone done this?  I have been told that in order for us
to change

        > Christina,
        > We use Visions Solutions' OMS/Gold Suite to mirror our AS/400
to an
        > identical backup system.  We do use the backup system to
perform tape
        > backups each night, eliminating that downtime for our users.
However,
        > you are also talking about having updates happening on both
systems at
        > the same time, then bringing those two databases back into
        > synchronization after the fact.  It also looks like you would
have
        > users updating one of the databases at the same time as the
resynch,
        > since your primary system would be up and running for the
users.
        > Personally, knowing what I know about mirroring from the last
few
        > years of working with OMS, I can see no practical way of
accomplishing
        > what you are asking.  I know for a fact OMS can't do what you
are
        > asking, so you needn't bother calling Vision Solutions.
Perhaps one

MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.