  • Subject: RE: Web site traffic analysis software
  • From: Wynn Osborne <wynn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 01:55:23 -0400

FWIW, I offer this opinion on one company.

www.telemate.net

This has nothing to do with the functionality. Therefore this posting may
turn off the vast majority of you. That is OK & so be it.

I inquired telemate on their product on behalf of the company I work for.

All seemed well, product wise, but in our case, we decided, due to Y2K
concerns and our OneWorld project, to put the issue on the back burner.

About a month later, a rep from the company called me to follow up. I
informed him about our delays and said that when we were ready, I would
call him back.

The phone call was cordial, but what does he do? He wanted the name of the
CEO of my company (some 700 miles away). I did give it to him (reluctantly)
only after the "any consideration of your product will go through me and my
department" speech.

About a month after this, I'm in a meeting with my boss, the Director of
IT. Our receptionist interrupts with a "I have an urgent phone call from
xxxxx from Telemate Corporation" message for my boss.

Apparently his attempt to contact the CEO was unsuccessful.

Two things:

1) Bad move there Telemate. I don't care if the product is the best thing
since sliced bread, it's DOA for our company. Why? Quite simply, it's the
sales technique.

2) Lurking salesmen should be aware that such tactics do not generally work
in IT, or should I say, in the IT dept. where I work. Maybe used cars would
be a better avenue?

Wynn Osborne