  • Subject: Re: Alternatives to Tiex/Lanoptics Twinax Hubs
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:12:12 -0700

Twinax hubs?  I'm not too familiar with that, we use power switches here.
A power switch is for twisted pair, though, but works fine for Twinax.  What we
do is take something called a balen (Balancer) and put it on the Twinax port
on the AS/400, then run twisted pair (normal phone line, CAT 3) to our phone
room.  In our phone room this goes to a power switch.  Out of the power switch
we plug up to 8 other phone lines, each going to a Twinax device through the
walls.  At the workstation, we plug a standard phone cord into the wall where
the twisted pair is connected, then on the other end put another Balen device,
and screw the Balen device into the back of the tube.

Basically, it just allows you to use twisted pair instead of Twinax.  The Balens
convert from twisted pair to Twinax.  It is a lot easier to run and maintain
CAT 3 wiring then it is to run Twinax cabling.

Regards,

Jim Langston