  • Subject: Re: AS400 Date Window For *MDY
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:53:21 -0700

The fact is the "standard" on AS/400's is to use IBM's date field.  With the
unwritten understanding that our logic should still work as long as we don't
do anything "tricky" with it.  Put in a date and do simple math and functions
on it and it becomes a black box.

Being a black box, it makes absolutely no difference to us how IBM stores
it.  IBM could decide to store it as the # of days since 010101 if they wanted
to and, in theory, our programs would still work.  If the OS stores a date as
32134 or 38291032 doesn't matter to me, as long as when I call for the date
I get the same date that was entered originally.

When 2040 approaches, and IBM changes their OS to store dates differently,
and they convert dates to the new method however they wish to do it (perhaps
on the OS upgrade) my programs should still work, right?

Regards,

Jim Langston

P.S.  I never considered the 2 digit date limitation an OPP, back in 1985 or so
I was working at a company that stored dates in 2 digit fields.  I brought it up
the boss (the owner of the company) that it wouldn't work after 1999 and he said
he knew, that they were going to upgrade it before then, but to leave it as it
was.

Then it became his problem and not mine (and he was a programmer too).