  • Subject: Re: Meaning of SPD
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:58:17 -0700

At 12:00 PM 10/14/1999 -0400, you wrote:
What does the IBM term "SPD" mean?

The term "SPD" was an IBM term that they developed (no, I don't know what it means) to refer to the cards that were used in every AS/400 after the B models, prior to the PCI models.

SPD is an IBM proprietary standard.

The first B models (which were referred to in IBM documentation as the A10, A20, A30 and A40) came out without SPD support as the B30, B40, B50 and B60.  At the same time as their announcement, IBM also announced the B10 and B20, which did support SPD cards, however these were developed later, in the belief that most S/36 customers would not purchase a system large enough to be a rack.

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390