  • Subject: Thank you for the WakeUp Call
  • From: Larryt222@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:36:57 EDT

I am on the Gulf Coast of Fl and we were very worried about hurricane Floyd
and other storms after that.  Now there is another possible hurricane off
Cuba.  Peters' comments on what happened in SC, NC and NJ made all of us,
wake up!  We have multiple 400s and like all people tend to get complacent
when it comes to DR planning.  Yes, we had a plan before!  But after reading
Peter's comments about the 100s of companies that had to go to hot site, it
made us stop and think.  He was 100% correct when he talked about DR
planning.  10 months before Floyd we did an option 21 and took off to the
hotsite.  Everyone knew when the hotsite test was.  We believed that an
option 21 was the best method of saving for a test.  What did the restore of
option 21 prove?   It only proved that an option 21 will work with the
exception of the file dependencies  because we read the backup and recovery
guide.  But nothing else in the plan was tested.  Did it prove that if a
disaster were to happen, would we be able to recover in time and correctly?
NO!!!!!!  It did NOT really test our DR plan at all, it just tested restoring
from an option 21!!!  However, Peter pointed out and rather dramatically that
we were all WET in our thinking.  He is correct!  How often does a disaster
happen after an option 21,  99.9999% never.  Our next test a week ago was
announced, the only one knowing that we are going to a hotsite was the
hotsite itself and the company president.  We went to the test totally
UNANNOUNCED to my staff and we did NOT be just do an option 21.  The test
took place in the middle of the week so test included our daily saves also.
This way we gave the DR plan a real test.  And guess what, we found holes in
the plan that we never new were there.  Now we made changes to our plan based
on those holes that were found and just in time for this next Hurricane off
the Keys.

When you get a chance, read the article in Midrange  systems on 9/30/99
dealing with DR planning.  This goes along with what he was saying.  THANK
YOU Peter  O'Connor for helping our company.

One of the guys here first showed me Peter's comment.  My ops manager and I
have been reading some of the responses to Peter's original mail before
Common.  I think a lot of you are missing the point of this news group.  That
is to LEARN.  If you wanted to know something about building a house, would
you want suggestions from a French teacher?  No, you would want suggestions
from a contractor, carpenter.  Peter might be in the software business and
his web site might have information on DR and I do not care.  I do care that
he is willing to give away free information.  I firmly believe that Peter was
NOT trying to sell his software or his web site.  He never mentioned his
software what or what his business does.  He only gave up good
information!!!!  If we cannot take suggestions from people that have a
particular expertise,  we are in trouble.  If we cannot use the wisdom of
some then we cannot let Bob Cozi have anything to say about RPGIII since he
is in that business; Al, Dean, and Bruce cannot say anything on the 400 since
they are in the consulting business.  And God forbid if Al ever mentions
TAATools, we will have to condemn him to take a cold shower.  My feeling is
that if a person can give us constructive information and guidance for FREE,
we should take it.  My 2nd DR test proved more valuable because of Peter's
comments.

Larry T. Howell