  • Subject: Re: AS/400 trivia questions
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:04:12 -0700

> > What was the internal project name that eventually brought us the
> >AS/400 ?
> > And what did the letters stand for?
>
>     silverlake...it is a lake near Rochester, MN
When *EVERYBODY outside IBM showed up at 1987 Spring COMMON in Reno, saying
the words "Silver Lake", IBM freaked.

There was even a discussion of creating a System/38 mascot, and naming it
"Golden Pond".

So IBM security freaked, and the project was re-codenamed "Olympic".

At the last System/38 COMMON (Hollywood Florida), I presented a series of
code with examples.  Included in that set was one "joke" command (no code,
just something ridiculous), and it was the "last command that IBM ever
wrote for the System/38 - the 'DeValue Asset'".  One of the parameters for
that command was the BODYOFWATER parameter, which determined if your
replacement system for the System/38 was ever code-named after a body of
water.  There were three possible values for that parameter, *YES (the
default), *NO and *OLYMPICSWIMINGPOOL "cause that's a body of water too".

At one point during the life of the AS/400, there was talk of replacing the
AS/400 with a new product (which never happened - although it could be
argued that RISC is a new product, but RISC was never code named).  The
product was proposed to be "Superior".

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390