  • Subject: Confusion reigns supreme (TCP/IP)
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:23:07 -0700

First of all, I'm on V3R7M0.

I'm trying to set up my AS/400 so that it can "see" the internet.  I
already have 2 NT servers talking to the internet with no problem.  I
also have my AS/400 talking to my NT servers on a private sub network no
problem.

I have my AS/400 set up with 192.168.1.61 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0 and the NT servers on the same subnet, and they talk
together.

Now, I have my NT servers on the internet, IP range of x.x.x.112 to 140,
112 is broadcast, 113 is my router, which leaves me 114 to 139 usable
(don't remember what 140 is, but you can never use it either).  They
gave us a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240

I set up a server with x.x.x.114, set up the default gateway, rebooted,
and am on the 'net.

I tried the same with my AS/400, I added tcp/ip interface x.x.x.139,
subnet mask of 255.255.255.240, started the interface, then tried to add
a default route, but was having
problem, because my default gateway is x.x.x.127.  The message was that
it was outside
of my subnet mask.  I tried changing my subnet mask to x.x.x.0 and it
worked for
communication between my NT server and my AS/400, but when I added the
*DFTROUTE
it took it, but would not communicate with the internet (I tried PINGing
the same internet
machine from my NT machine, where it worked, and my AS/400, where it
didn't).

Is there something I'm missing here?  What is the piece of the puzzle
that is different
from talking to the internet and talking to "local" machines on the same
wire?

Regards,

A confused Jim Langston