  • Subject: Re: New survey on www.midrange.com
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 20:09:33 -0700

David,

I don't know who's quote your post included, but I, for one, concur.
Paper rules!

Every graduate I've hired (30+), I've bought them (out of my own pocket)
6ft+ of manuals and instructed them to keep them near and dear.
Like in the bathroom.  Every time you sit down, open a page and learn
it.  Next time you sit down, reread it.

It's a daily thing <g>

I should probably revisit the cost of printed manual vs a notebook with
a mobile phone, internet connection, radio waved to the in-house 170 for
"tinkering" while I'm squatting on the pot ;-}

But, I'll cough up the bucks for the printed materials, beyond that,
it's, IMHO, a personal investment in your own future.  Sort of like
going to college.  If you want to get there, pay for it.  Earn it.

Last weekend my wife was enthralled with the movie "The Matrix".  There
was a point in the movie where "Morphious" informs "Neo" that his job is
to show him the door. It's up to "Neo" to walk across the threshold.

That's the way I feel about newbies.  I'm more than willing to point out
TFM.  Read it.  Then we'll talk.