  • Subject: Some notes on COMMON
  • From: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:14:44 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings!

Ok, it's time for me to weigh in with my initial thoughts on this Fall's
COMMON conference.

Keep in mind that this is based on my DAY 1 expereiences...

1. Session site selection couldn't have been worse.  There are two
sites for the sessions ... the Marriott Rivercenter and the Convention
center... to get to the Rivercenter, you have to go THROUGH the
Marriott Riverwalk.  Quite confusing ... and almost 3 blocks of
hiking.  Perhaps TPTB @ common want to help counteract our sedentary
lifestyles?

2. Once again, handouts were in short supply... Went to a tradditionally
popular session held by George Farr and they ran out (again).

3. Rooms are far too small.  I've been to quite a few sessions that
were in tiny rooms and ended up being blowouts.  It was hot AND crowded.

4. The registration personel are QUITE inflexable ... I was issued a
commplementary session badge because my company has a booth (MKS)
and I wanted my name on it (instead of it being a generic corp badge)
but they were unable and/or unwilling to help.  THey told me that
"That's not what companies use the comp badges for".  Yeah, right.

5. THe cyber-corner (where I am now) is equiped with laptops (thinkpads)
that are QUITE cumbersome to deal with ... right now I would pay real
money for a REAL keyboard.

6. THe BOF board was not provisioned yesterday ... so I had to go hunt
down the request sheets and tape and a pen.

Well, I gotta go hunt down some food before CUDS.

Oh, btw, I've requested a BOF for MIDRANGE-L on Tuesday at 7pm.  So
far only one person has signed up for it. :(

david