  • Subject: Re: Rewarding Challenge AS/400
  • From: leif@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:32:08 -0500

I agree with the comments below. We are trying to help our customers
improving security on their boxes (with or without help from IBM). If anybody
has the notion that our tools are 'hacker tools' they are WAY off base.
So, as these issues are VERY sensitive, I think we should all
take a deep breath. I see no reason, f.ex., to confront IBM with this
at COMMON. They are not likely to have a reasonable answer, and
the whole atmosphere could easily turn ugly. What we need to do is
to quietly work to improve security on the box without panicking our
customers. I might even have said too much in this forum. Although,
with our press release the cat is already somewhat out of the bag.
Let me reiterate: we are not selling a tool to crack passwords;
we are selling a tools to check if your installation have passwords
that are easily guessed with the goal of forcing the users to use
stronger passwords, thus strengthening security.