  • Subject: AS/400 ads
  • From: "BORING, David" <dboring@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:14:49 -0700

Just got my News/400 Newswire E-mail and it had the following in it. I
thought it was rather interesting.

WEB FEATURE: AS/400 ADS REBORN
http://www.news400.com/nwn/StoryBuild.cfm?ID=860
AS/400 ads are back. The popular AS/400 "handwriting" ads that
disappeared from the scene with IBM's June 30 launch of the Magic Box
campaign have been magically resurrected -- this time clothed in the
same trendy wrappings as the new Server Group ads.

This Friday, magazines and newspapers across the country will carry
freshly minted AS/400 Magic Box ads touting the Dedicated Server for
Domino and the AS/400's open architecture. (You can preview the ads
at http://www.news400.com/nwn/nwnextras/lotusads .)

Even better for branding the AS/400 into the minds of business
leaders, television commercials in five major markets -- Boston,
Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco -- spotlight the
AS/400 as a "Magic Box" for enterprise resource planning (ERP).

While IBM's timing of the launch -- days before the COMMON user
conference in San Antonio -- may seem to be a last-ditch effort to
forestall grousing during AS/400 Soundoff (where AS/400 marketing or
lack thereof is always a hot topic), IBM says it's not just tossing
AS/400 users a bone.

The AS/400 ads will continue through the end of 1999, and in coming
months, other server brands will get a turn in the spotlight. The
idea, IBM says, is to burn the names "IBM," "AS/400," "Netfinity,"
"RS/6000," and "S/390" indelibly into the minds of business
executives who decide which servers their company should buy. For
this reason, the bulk of the new AS/400 ads and forthcoming ads for
other platforms will run in business publications such as Business
Week and The Wall Street Journal rather than in IT magazines.
-- Cheryl Ross, NEWS/400 Industry Reporter

* This story has been adapted from its original version on the Web.
For the full story, see
http://www.news400.com/nwn/StoryBuild.cfm?ID=860 .

David Boring
Systems Engineer