  • Subject: Re: Configuring an Ethernet Card
  • From: Billy Rowe <billyrowe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:13:35 -0400

Arlene M Soderlund wrote:

> What books or hints in the right directions can you guys give me for
>configuring
> an Ethernet Card.  All I know is the TCPIP address I want,  unfortunately in
>the
> past my shop always used consultants to do this, so nobody here knows where to
> start.

OS/400 Communications Configuration

Look at Chapter 6 for configuring your line description.

You will need to use the command WRKHDWRSC *CMN to view or print your
communications resources because you will need the resource name for
your
ethernet card.

                       Work with Communication
Resources
                                                             System:
xxxxxxxx
 Type options, press
Enter.
   5=Work with configuration descriptions   7=Display resource
detail

 Opt  Resource        Type  Status
Text
          LIN111      2724  Operational           Token-Ring
Port
        LIN06         2838  Operational           LAN
Adapter
          CMN09       2838  Operational           Ethernet Port
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bottom
 F3=Exit   F5=Refresh   F6=Print
F12=Cancel

I used the command RTVCFGSRC to retreive the command source which you
can use
as an example:

CRTLINETH LIND(ETHERNET1) RSRCNAME(CMN09) ONLINE(*YES) +
         VRYWAIT(*NOWAIT) MAXCTL(40) ADPTADR(020000000000) +
         EXCHID(05623850) ETHSTD(*ALL) LINESPEED(100M) +
         DUPLEX(*FULL) +
         SSAP((04 1496 *SNA)(12 1496 *NONSNA)(AA 1496 *NONSNA)(C8 +
         1496 *HPR)) THRESHOLD(*MAX) GENTSTFRM(*YES) +
         LINKSPEED(100M) COSTCNN(0) COSTBYTE(0) +
         SECURITY(*NONSECURE) PRPDLY(*LAN) USRDFN1(128) +
         USRDFN2(128) USRDFN3(128) AUTOCRTCTL(*YES) +
         AUTODLTCTL(1440) CMNRCYLMT(5 5) TEXT('Ethernet line')

NOTE:  The following 2 items are auto created by the system when you
start TCP/IP.

CRTCTLNET CTLD(ETHERNET) ONLINE(*NO) LINE(ETHERNET1) CNNRSPTMR(170) +
         TEXT('CREATED BY AUTO-CONFIGURATION')
CRTDEVNET DEVD(ETHERTCP) TYPE(*TCPIP) ONLINE(*NO) CTL(ETHERNET) +
         TEXT('CREATED BY AUTO-CONFIGURATION')

After creating the line description you need to vary it on by using the
command
WRKCFGSTS *LIN E* and taking option 1 to vary it on.

Hope this helps,

Billy