  • Subject: RE: Rewarding Challenge AS/400
  • From: "V. Leveque" <vleveque@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:51:03 -0700

The security in an crypto system is based entirely in the key itself, not in
the particular algorithm.  This has been a principle of cryptography since
the late 19th century.  Analogous to I can tell you everything about how the
lock is constructed, but without a key you still can't get in.

Another point is that it is impossible to do an accurate risk assessment and
protect your systems unless you know what the vulnerabilities are.  Knowing
there is a flaw in the password crypto means first you are aware this is an
exposure (so you are not blind-sided when it happens) and second allows you
to take compensating measures to protect this vulnerability (restrict access
to utilities which provide the encrypted passwords, audit system use for
unauthorized access attempts resulting from compromised passwords, maybe
front-end the AS/400 with a one-time password server like ACE/Server, etc.)

I work advising folks on security.  I really hate "security by obscurity".
It makes it impossible to say what's broken, how serious it is, and how it
can be fixed.

At 01:02 PM 9/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Haven't you just told everyone how to decrypt as400 passwords?
>
>If so, isnt that very irresponsible?

     |----------------------------|  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
     |\  /         |    \  /      |  best companion.  Inside of a dog,