Lamar,

I am a former user of ADSM on the /400.  Unfortunately, I am no longer a
user due to a job change.

What type of tape drive do you have?  ADSM likes lots of tapes depending
on your setup.

How much free DASD do you have?  ADSM loves LOTS of disk regardless of
setup.

ADSM is not the easiest to learn but there are 2 great red books based
upon Version 1 that get the concepts down pretty well.  It works very
well with desktops but if you want to back up other servers.  Also, when
doing desk tops, use the policies to not back up everyones windows
directories, office, etc.  just go after user type data.

Finally, check out the ADSM site and search for a reference to ADSM-L,
the ADSL mailing list.  It had started to get more AS/400 users but still
has a lot of the Unix type folks...

HTH.  You can call directly if you would like more detailed info.

John

John W. Cirocco
Director, Information Technology
Pierce & Stevens Corp.