  • Subject: Re: DSPOBJD and ODOBSZ
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:20:57 EDT

Debbie,

dgallagher@deloitte.ca writes:

<<snip>>
> who could have imagined?
>
>  I also find the changes over the years staggering. When I worked on S/38 in
>  1983, it was a Model 40 with 16 meg (count em, 16!) of memory, and it
filled
>  a room!

Guess it's another part of "The Greying of COMMON" :(.  When I first left a
S/3 M10 shop because they wouldn't explain the architecture to me, I went to
another midrange platform with _FANTASTIC_ application software so that I
could "learn the ropes" of hardware.  Base system was small, but came with
8Mb of memory with fixed (rather than dynamic) partitioning, 3 fixed and 3
removable megabytes of DASD, and could support 2 terminals and 1 printer.
Memory modules (4K) were $5K US apiece.  We actually had 4K versions of the
Order Entry programs that were invoked in lieu of the standard ones if the
customer had a small machine!

But then, I remember when an IBM PC cost more than 4 grand with no hard drive
and a CGA monitor...

TFTM!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." -- Woody Allen