  • Subject: Re: IBM dumb move #3,912,347
  • From: "Henrik Krebs" <hkrebs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:13:48 +0200

.. and here is the official IBM answer:

Fra: gebarry@us.ibm.com
Til: Henrik.H.Krebs@ope.shell.com
Cc: hkrebs@hkrebs.dk
Emne: Softcopy Library
Dato: 9. september 1999 17:17

Thanks for the note you sent regarding the Softcopy Library.  I understand your
concern and appreciate the opportunity to provide the correct information!

Here are the facts:

Some of the V4R4 manuals were not ready by the timeframe needed to make the
"master"  for V4R4 General Availability (GA).  We made the decision  to put
them on the Web when they became available rather than exposing GA.  Pointers
were put on the CD-ROM to get users to the correct Web site.

We are planning an update to the Softcopy Library CD-ROM to include those
programming manuals.  Once the mastering schedule is agreed to, we'll make the
availability date known and also provide information on getting the updated
CD-ROM.  Please note that the Database manuals will not be added to the Softcopy
Library CD-ROM; that information is available in the Information Center (both on
the Information Center CD-ROM and on the Web).

The Information Center CD-ROM is shipped with every OS/400 V4R4 order (as it was
with every V4R3 order); it is a two CD-ROM package containing both the
Information Center CD-ROM and the Softcopy Library CD-ROM.

Your note:

>Are you aware of rumours on midrange dot com about IBM removing
>documentation from the Softcopy Library CD-ROM, leaving it only on the web?
>
>Truely I hope that those rumours are false. If you could please officially
>deny theese rumours I would happily post them to the mailing list.
>
>Thanks

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment on our Documentation efforts!

Regards,  Jerry Barry

DDR/004-2E101  tieline 8/553-3666 external:  (507)-253-3666
User Technologies T/CEM
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion it has been accomplished"
-- George Bernard Shaw