From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Joe Teff
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 02:17
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: WEB SOLUTIONS SOFTWARE

There were two articles written in News/400 a couple of years
ago (I beleive the author was Ed Smith) and Brad Stone wrote
a couple last year in Midrange Computing. There is also a Red
book called "Cool things about the AS/400" or something like
that. This is how I learned. The programs work fast. There are
about 5 APIs that are needed for this. I have them coded in a
Service Program with easy to use procedures (thanks to Brad).
Other developers now use the procedures without having to
understand the APIs. I personally don't understand the claim
that Net.Data is easier to do. I think writing the CGIs in RPG
is easier. You will have to know HTML in either case. Net.Data
uses SQL for all database access (syntax is slightly different
than regular SQL). You also have to learn how to write
Net.Data macros. I did not find this to be intuitive. Net.Data
is the obvious choice when you do not know RPG IV. Net.Data
is also slower than using an actual CGI script (a CGI program
is not some new language, rather it is the way that you write
the program to work with a browser on the other end and HTTP).

Joe Teff