  • Subject: Re: 9/9/99
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:07:40 -0700

I actually saw it happen once on one of my jobs.  I was using FORTRAN
though, and not COBOL.  It was the first FORTRAN program I had written
to read data, and didn't know to put in a special card.

I handed the operator my deck with about 8 other people, and mine was
about the 3rd job in line.  I was waiting around for the other jobs to run,
would watch the cards read the program, pause, read the data, pause,
then produce some output.

Then on one job it started reading cards... and didn't stop.  About 1/2
way down the deck of remaining cards the operator realized something
was wrong and aborted the run, went back through the deck to the start
of my job and handed me the cards, telling me that it hadn't stopped reading
the data.

I was really learning this on my own (I was 10 years old at the time) so
found someone to tell me what was wrong, and they explained the 9's rule
to me.

After that I became a little more interested in how the decks were stacked,
and they were putting the special cards between jobs.  3 cards I seem to
remember, one for start of job, one for end of job, and one card that was
a different color (blue I seem to recall) just so the operator could visually
tell the jobs from one another.

Regards,

Jim Langston