Al:

I was also puzzled by how long the DISKTASKS job always took to run. It
seemed
completely unreasonable, and I attributed it to the programmers and
operators
running other jobs. Strange thing was that the DSPOBJD job never took more
than
three hours, no matter when I did it.

However, I finally found a Sunday morning when the client had no production
jobs
and there were no programmers around. Kicked off the DSPOBJD job and the
DISKTASKS job at the same time. There were 100,000 objects and 200 gigabytes
of
DASD.

DSPOBJD was done in less than three hours. Immediately following was the
QRYDOCLIB job, which took less than an hour. The DISKTASKS job took about 26
hours to complete - collection only, no reports. There were no other jobs
running on the system on Sunday. By Monday morning, there were programmers
signing on and working during the last couple of hours of the DISKTASKS job.
However, by that time, I already knew how slow it was. On smaller systems
(fewer
objects and/or less DASD), there were also differences in time spent
running,
but the smaller the system, the smaller the difference in time taken to run
the
two jobs.

I will confess that the tests I ran were quite a long time ago now (late
1997)
and things may have improved. I don't have this kind of system access any
more,
but it would be interesting to know if things have changed.

Debbie Gallagher