  • Subject: Re: COMMON Member Represenatives - Deadline is September 13th
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 00:04:57 EDT

Don,

In a message dated 9/2/99 6:40:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dr2@cssas400.com
writes:

> Not knowing alot of the people on the list, it would be interesting if
>  there were any endorsements, recommendations by folks with more background
>  with Common that I...etc....  I sometimes find it frustrating that some of
>  the people on the ballot are folks that I've not ever heard anything
>  about!
>
>  I'm kinda surprised that some of the trade rags haven't done anything on
>  the BOD candidates in terms of telling us anything about them, their
>  history, managerial talents in running a major organization...etc...

I dunno, it's hard to say based upon the materials I received from COMMON on
the election.  When most of the platforms are the same, who do you vote for?
I agree that the volunteers have been given short shrift of late, but most of
the candidates are pushing getting the volunteers back into the process.
Some of the candidates represent COMMON at its absolute _best_, but some of
these were also incumbent during the recent changes.  Were the latter part of
those changes, or did they simply not have enough support to prevent them?
One doesn't even want the job, but feels that the situation is dire enough to
warrant their help.  Does this mean that they won't actually have time to do
the job, but will take up a spot that will prevent the further deterioration
of COMMON? (BTW, did anyone see Andrew Borts' commentary in the 8/28
"ComputerWorld"?)

If I had to choose a government representative under the same circumstances,
I'd probably join the mob of US citizens that don't vote at all.  This isn't
like some sort of company proxy in which you own stock and have to vote for a
board of directors from nameless and faceless people, this is an organization
that plays a large part in most of our _CAREERS_!!!  Personally, I think that
COMMON should host several IRCs (Internet Relay Chats) between members and
the candidates at different times to encompass all countries and time zones.
Probably too late for IRCs now but, like Bluto Blutarski says, "don't cost
nothin'"...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his
actions." -- Isaac Bashevis Singer