  • Subject: Outsourcing
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:32:00 -0400

     Late response due to vacation (was great!).

     I see you didn't really get any replies from those who'd had
     unsatisfactory experiences... so here's mine.

     One of my clients outsourced the data centre operations (not
     programming) to a company that specializes in doing this (sorry, can't
     be public about the company name).

     Outsource firm did a pretty decent job of moving the boxes to the new
     building, and the first little while (a few months) things went
     reasonably well. However, the service did go downhill and got quite
     bad. The strategy of the outsource firm appeared to be - bring in the
     big experts to impress the client and make the sale, then move the
     experts onto the the next potential/new client and leave the dogs to
     run the show. Perhaps this was just the way it looked and wasn't
     intended, but that's pretty much the sequence of events.

     Some of the problems included:

     - poorly trained operators (some of whom would guess the solution to
     problems instead of calling programmers for instructions - this led to
     several unhilarious and difficult to diagnose errors)
     - slow or no response to phone calls or faxed requests
     - technical support with no (not little - none) experience on the
     hardware or operating system
     - back ups not done according to agreed schedule - also backups not
     verified by procedure as simple as reading the job log
     - back up tapes lost - this was a particularly frequent and
     troublesome occurence

     I'm not suggesting that outsourcing is necessarily a bad thing, but
     have a few suggestions:

     - Have a service level agreement that outlines the penalties for bad
     service - be specific about what the service requirements are and the
     escalation procedure. Include a requirement for reqular meetings with
     the provider to review your service records.

     - Take responsibility for monitoring the agreement and ensure that the
     service provider is actually doing what you pay them to do.

     HTH,
     Debbie Gallagher