From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Tim McCarthy
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 1999 1:38 PM
To: 'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: TCP interface problem

If your sockets program is expecting to always receive complete
"records" on a read then you may be asking for trouble. There is no
guarantee that a packet sent always equals a packet received. You really
need to recode the read and treat it as a stream of data rather than a
fixed length entity - and if the records are delimited by say CR/LF's
then you need to parse it out - otherwise changes to your network
hardware/topology may eventually get you.