  • Subject: Re: Domino on the AS/400 and how to Unstall it?
  • From: Ray Peterson <rpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 00:40:03 -0500

Jeffrey ...

You're cutting them too much slack.  I quote from the Lotus web site - Product
Availability  -  "LearningSpace Release 2.6 and LearningSpace "Live"
(incorporating the DataBeam LearningServer) will be available in the second half
of 1998 through Lotus authorized resellers."   Of course, we know that LS 2.6
and
LS "Live" never saw the light of day, and indeed was announced as LS 3.0 with
availability of June 30, 1999? (perhaps avoiding 'second half of 1999?).

We have have been using LearningSpace for the last year.  It is a great product.
We have made significant investments in staff development to prepare our
college's teachers to teach online using LearningSpace.  We are ready to offer
the entire first year of our 2-year Associate Degree (AS/400 RPG based) computer
programming program over the internet using LS.  We have a new AS/400 170-2385
which is the student lab system and our Domino server for LearningSpace.  We
were
told on June 28th that LS Forum for the AS/400 would not be available until
3Q-1999 - at the same time as the NT version (and packaged together). On June
30th, two days later, Lotus announced it for NT ONLY.  Go figure.

The bottom line is we'll likely be stuck with Domino 4.6 and LearningSpace 2.5
for the entire 1999-2000 school year.  As the "Domino Evangelist" at the
college,
I'm stuck now explaining why we won't have the synchronous parts of
LearningSpace
available as promised.  Remember they were announced in May 1998!  And again
having to justify using the AS/400 as the Domino platform instead of NT.  Lotus
should do better!

Ray

--
Ray Peterson