  • Subject: Re: Disk drive feature number
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:37:52 -0400

A 6603 is a single 1967MB disk unit.
A 6109 is a single 988MB disk unit.
A 6123 is a dual (2 x 988MB) 1976MB disk unit.
Don't confuse the number you see in WRKDSKSTS with what you will find on
the disk unit inside the machine.
(A 6123 unit will show as two 6109's on WRKDSKSTS).
Also don't confuse the number you see in WRKDSKSTS with the feature number
used when ordering and on
the configurator reports.  The same disk unit can have different feature
codes depending on whether it is a base disk, additional disk, replacement
for the base disk, upgrade for the base disk (at time of original factory
order), factory installed, field installed, upgraded/migrated, etc.

Using the 988MB disk as an example, the possible feature codes are:
     9109 Standard (Base) disk
     6109 Additional 988MB disk
     6123 Additional 1976MB (2 x 988MB) disk
     8123 Dual disk unit 1976MB (2 x 988MB)
     6125 Base DASD replace 988MB disk
     6124 Base DASD upgrade 1976MB (2 x 988MB)
     6127 Base DASD replace 1976MB (2 x 988MB)

Oh - and if the 988MB disk was the internal disk in the old 9406 rack
models (originally standard on the Exx models, but you could also upgrade
the internal DASD on a Dxx model from the dual (2 x 320MB) disks, and you
could continue to use the internal dual (2 x 988MB disks, two dual units
allowed) in you upgraded from an Exx to Fxx model (which came with dual
feature 9802  2 x 1031MB disks - feature 2802 if additional internal disk))
it would have been called a 9801  1976MB disk (if it was the base unit) or
a 2801  1976MB disk (if it was the additional unit).

OK - is that clear as mud ?   There will be a test Friday !   ;-)

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Markham,  Ontario,   Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 474-4890  x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 474-4898          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server

Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@ibm.net> on 99-07-21 22:49:47

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com