This is really getting good now.  Carl has hit on the best idea ever.  Let
the list do the eZine.

1.  The Midrange eZine editor solicits from Midrange-L an ongoing list of
topics for MeZ.
2.  Midrange-Lers respond to this months topic and the editor produces MeZ
from the responses.
3.  David sets up a listservice and broadcasts the edited MeZ.

News/400 and Midrange Computing both have similar services with plenty of
ads which I could do without.  I have always liked users doing it for users
(like pre-COMMON) so I personally like David's non-commercial approach.  I
think this whole idea sprung from a dislike for blow/glue ins in News400.
Why commercialize it now?

We have a non-profit, roughly non-commercial, users group in the SF Bay
Area that functions on the vol system.  And yes, the vols are the same ones
year in and year out and yes, they get tired.  Over the last 20 years I
have volunteered yearly for many different civic/user type non-profit
community service stuff.  However, I think it's fine to "advertise"
midrange-l and other of David's ventures since he is the consummate vol
himself.

Jerry

At 02:21 PM 7/14/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I agree.
>
>But would only do it for two reasons:
>
>       1) To expand the number of people who get the information.  The email
>should go to more people than on the list and have a click through that
>would encourage subscribers to Midrange-L
>
>       2) To sell advertising sponsorships and the revenue would help
>Midrange-L.
>
>I would suggest that a deal be set up with one of the AS/400 technical
>publications.  They would provide the technical content to help edit the
>e-zine.  They would cross promotional opportunities for a joint relationship.
>
>The method to create the content would be to put out technical questions to
>the Midrange-L list  that would be responded to privately, gathered up and
>put together and published in the e-zine.
>

> At 04:56 PM 7/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>With the incredible knowledge base on this list I think very small timely
>>articles would be simple.  It seems I am constantly writing this kind of
>>stuff for customers.  Lots of how to, or why does this, etc. kind of stuff.
>> I would also suspect that there are many "articles" floating around that
>>would be interesting to David's readership at large.
>>
>>Jerry
>>
>>At 06:09 PM 7/13/99 EDT, you wrote:
>>>David,

>>>I was going to say, producing such a document would either require a
>>>volunteer (read, uncompensated) editor or some _REVENUE_ of some sort that
>>>would allow one to quit their "real" job ;-).  Given that most list
members
>>>don't contribute to the annual operation of what we have here nor post, I
>>>would doubt that _EITHER_ of the aforementioned would be likely...
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Dean Asmussen
>>>Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
>>>Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
>>>E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com
>>+---
>>

>Carl Nelson
>NEI Communications, Inc.
>Tel: 508-651-3100, ext. 102
>Fax: 508-651-4978
>Email: cnelson@neicommunications.com
>192 Worcester Road
>Suite One
>Natick, MA 01760

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com