  • Subject: Re: AS/400 shareware/utilities - was RE: File editor Freeware
  • From: "Nelson C. Smith" <ncsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:11:10 -0400

This is not an attack either, but you did push one of my hot buttons....

I can't begin to count how many little programs/utilities/procedures that my
present and past companies "rely" on now in a mission-critical sense, that
would have never been approved had I taken the appropiate project request
route. Some things management just doesn't appreciate until they see it
working or the need goes way past the critical stage. Then, it's big crisis.
We gotta have it yesterday.

Some of the very best "mouse traps" come from your programmer's inspiration,
not from some user's request. The programmer is probably the best one in a
position to recognize the possibility and the need for that better mouse
trap.  You should let them innovate, within reason of course.  Assuming that
they are innovators.  Probably, less than one out ten programmers are.  If
you are blessed enough to have one on staff and you are stifling his
creativeness, you won't have to worry about it for long.

Most management structures I've dealt with in the past have very myoptic
"vision".  (Unless, of course, some out-of-town salesman is presenting a
demo of their latest, greatest, vaporware.)  This even includes when I was
sitting on the Board of Directors and managing the IS shop.  I always had to
have some "stealth" projects going on that "management" would have been
horrified to know they were paying for.....until they needed it, and
magically, it was there.