  • Subject: Re: Automatic cleanup of spool files
  • From: Ilena Ayala <ilena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:19:34 -0400

I'm waaayy behind on reading this list!

At 05:03 AM 6/30/99 -0400, fkolmann@revlon.com.au  wrote:

>I also looked for a spool file maintenance and distribution system, but those
>spool file APIs are LULUs. (too much for my feeble brain).  Also the
TAATOOLs use
>C programs.  Would anyone have an RPG program (prefer IV) that does the same
>thing as the TAATOOLs (Save and Restore Spool Files).  Thanks in advance
but I
>dont hold out much hope.

Just to clarify, the QUSRTOOL library which is part of OS/400 has a utility
(which does require a C compiler) to sav/rst spooled files.  I believe
that's what you are refering to.

The TAA Tools which used to be in QUSRTOOL and were licensed to us, were
withdrawn from all releases of OS/400 following  V3R1M0.  There are now 18
or so tools left in QUSRTOOL, many of which require a C compiler.

Our product, the TAA Productivity Tools has *different* spool archiving
tools in it.  They do not require the use of a C compiler; we ship our
utilities precompiled.  (I don't think any of our programs are written in
C.) QUSRTOOL "belongs" to IBM, we don't have anything to do with that library.

BTW, starting with V4R4M0, key stamped media goes into effect.  That means
you can load any product for 70 days on a trial basis.  So if you don't
normally license C or RPG and want to play with one of the utilities IBM
has shipped in QUSRTOOL, you can load the compilers and PTFs and get them
running long enough to get the pgms compiled and working.  Just keep in
mind the utilities in QUSRTOOL are unsupported-if you have a problem you
are on your own.

-Ilena Ayala
support@taatool.com

Jim Sloan, Inc.