  • Subject: Re: DASD Recovery
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:18:38 -0500

> I have a 9404 with 10gig.  I installed V4R3M0 (from V3R7) on Thursday and
> went from 70% to 75%.  On Friday we began installation of Domino R5.  By
> days end I was up to 87% and the vendor could not complete the installation.
>
> Well I tweeked my way down to 83%.  My problem is that on Tuesday I have my
> police records software vendor shceduled to arrive for an upgrade.  This has
> been scheduled for some time and the vendor is from out of state.  I do now
> want to cancel at the last minute.
>
> Once this upgrade is done I can delete my police records test environment.
> Right now I have a copy of all programs and data; this is needed to
> accomplish the uprgrade but I can remove the test side after the upgrade.
> But, at 83%, they can not do the upgrade.
>
> What IBM licensed programs can I take off temporarily?  With V4R3 I see
> several apparently new programs.  Can i remove the following programs:
>         5769SS1 GDDM
>         5769SS1 Ultimedia System Facilities
>         5769SS1 ObjectConnect
>         5769DG1 IBM HTTP SERVER FOR As/400
>         5763JC1 AS/400 Toolbox for Java
>         5769JV1 AS/400 Developer Kit for Java
>         5769NC5 NetQuestion for AS/400
>
> Also, what about Query, Performance Management, Office Vision?
>
> I do have a server configured for my connection to an NT box so I don't want
> to remove 5769SA2 Integration Services for FSIOP.
>
> If I can remove any of these it seems to me the best bet would be to do a
> save/restore rather than remove license program and reinstall because of the
> cum ptf applied after the install.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

yikes!  don't you hate it when that happens!

you'll most likely get lots of suggestions, but i'll throw in my 2
cents.

1. client access has lots of modules.  there are tons you can kill if
you're not using them.  ie - os/2 support, dbcs, dos, extended dos.
rumba, windows 3.1.

2. do you have files with deleted records that haven't been reorged?
there can be lots of space in large, active files.

3. perm apply your ptf's.

4. reclaim storage.

5. check and clear any old journals.

6. get rid of old history log files.

on saving off stuff, then later reloaded it, i have done it, but not
recently.  i suffered no ill effects, but someone else may have a reason
why you shouldn't do it.  just be sure you don't take off something you
need.  like are you using java?  are you a web server?  do you use
ultimedia?  etc.  and be sure it's big enough to make it worth your
while!

nj