  • Subject: Re: Printer alignment messages
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:42:46 -0500

Bill,

You use the "System Reply List" to do this and define an entry for the printer
and the message that you want to be "auto answered". If you handle the Load Form
Type message with a G you shouldn't get the verify alignment message UNLESS it
had been specified by the applications PRTF... Check the message you are
getting (for Load form type...) and get the Message ID. For SOME reason there
are
TWO for "Load form type... " as I just now check (CPA3394 and CPA3395)
but I am only checking for the first (CPA3394) so that MUST have been the one we
were getting back when I set this up and that MUST be the one you normally
get...

*** NOTE ***

I ONLY use the auto reply on the "Load form type" message for LASER printers
where you are (relatively) SURE of the paper size and KNOW that it doesn't
need alignment (like an impact printer would...).

===========================================================================================================

For example:

Printer is named: PRT02
Message ID: CPA3394

At a command line, enter WRKRPYLE and press Enter
You will get the "Work with System Reply List Entries" screen and you may or may
not have entries already defined (there are usually several already entered by
IBM...).
Check to see what Sequence Numbers have been used and note an "available" one
because you will need to specify one for your entry.
Press F6=Add and you will get the "Add Reply List Entry (ADDRPYLE)" screen.
In the Sequence number field, key in the Sequence Number you decided on.
In the Message identifier field, key in the Message ID (CPA3394 in this case...)
.
In the Comparison data field, key in the Printer ID in single quotes ('PRT02' in
this case...).
In the Message data start position field, key in a 1.
In the Message reply field, key in the desired reply in single quotes. In the
case of this message, G is the normal reply (so it won't generate a Verify
alignment
message) so you would have 'G'.
Press F10=Additional parameters and in the Coded character set ID field, replace
*HEX with *JOB
Press Enter.
Press F5=Refresh and you should see your new entry !

Let me know that you got this setup OK or if you had any trouble !

Chuck