I see CA/400 as 3 distinct products (or more) some of which cost $ and some
which don't:

  1.  The FREE server part of CA/400 that lives on the AS/400 which is
generally called "host services".  This is part of OS/400 and there is NO
CHARGE for this software from IBM.

  2.  The FREE client part of CA/400 that lives on the PC (loadable from
the IBM supplied CDROM) that includes everything but the kitchen sink and
the client part noted in 3 below.  This includes things like Operations
Navigator, Graphical Access, ODBC, NetWork Drives (formerly called shared
folders), NetWork Printers (formerly called ), Data Queues, Submit Remote
Job,  This is part of OS/400 and there is NO CHARGE for this software from
IBM.

  3.  The COSTLY client part of CA/400 that lives on the PC (loadable from
the IBM supplied CDROM) that includes only display, printer, file transfer,
and NS Router.  This part costs $275./seat up to the maximum for a
particular processor.  I understand that IBM has recently changed this
policy so that you have to pay $275. forever.  Can anyone confirm this?

CA/400 typically takes up to 80MB of disk space, invades the registry, and
makes changes to the Windows\system  folder.  It is very difficult to
manage if thing aren't going right.  Even the new Express CA/400 (no
router/TCP/IP only) uses a minimum of 30MB on the hard drive.  A good thing
about the new Express CA/400 is that it's easier to "granularly" install
the FREE components (item 2 above) off the IBM supplied CDROM.

Other clients like my favorite Synapse NetWolf typically take only 5MB on
the hard drive and do not invade windows at all.  Fast and feature rich.  I
support, sell, recommend, and use Synapse products.

Regards,

Jerry

At 04:02 PM 6/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>Has anyone heard if IBM will ever make Operations Navigator run with other
>access products such as WallData and Synapse? Or is it that it requires other
>IBM only parts of CA/400?
>
>As a consultant I prefer the WallData product (I buy my own copy so I
don't go
>against the customer's licensee limit) for twinax but am getting clients that
>need to me use OpNav since some configs can only be done through it. If I
have
>to, I can use one of their PCs but that usually will entail displacing an
active
>user. At one site I am setting up TCP/IP and could load the Express client
but
>that is again another package loaded on my notebook with the chance of them
>fighting.
>
>Roger Vicker, CCP

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com