  • Subject: Re: TCP/IP Sockets
  • From: Patrick Townsend <townsend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:19:54 -0700

Bob,

Yes, when I read the manual a few months ago I drew the same conclusion
you did. And in fact I didn't have any trouble with this for a long
time. Until one fine day when a client application on a UNIX box hauled
off and disconnected itself periodically and my code didn't catch the
error.  I was looking for -1 to trap these kinds of errors. It didn't.
The return code was 0. Here's what the V4R1 manual says in the section
on read():

1.  For sockets that use a connection-oriented transport service (for
example, sockets with a type of
    SOCK_STREAM), a returned value of zero indicates one of the
following:

       The partner program has issued a close() for the socket.
       The partner program has issued a shutdown() to disable writing
to the socket.
       The connection is broken and the error was returned on a
previously issued socket function.
       A shutdown() to disable reading was previously done on the
socket.

I've been bitten by this one. Even curiouser, if you have a non-blocking
read and there is no data to be read you will get a -1 return with errno
equal to EWOULDBLOCK. That is, there really is no error on the socket,
there's just no data to be read. Go figure...

Patrick