  • Subject: RE: Better way to code a maintenence program ILERPG
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:36:37 -0700

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I would never recommend DFU for anything
but something that's needed in less than an hour and will never be used for
more than a minute or two at a time.  The sad thing is, on a green screen,
there isn't anything any better than the IBM subfile with option fields.
PDM is as good a model as any.

Any time you write a file maintenance program you have to consider data
integrity, sorting, and what the end users need.

I once failed a technical interview because I said that it would take me
anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days to write a single file maintenance program
that did updates, deletes, and inserts depending on the specific
requirements.  I think I should have said 2 hours.

The above is my personal opinion and is not intended to represent good
programming practice or the product of a sound mind.

Joel Fritz