  • Subject: Network 24 printer losing settings
  • From: Ilena Ayala <ilena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 16:08:24 -0400

About 6 months ago we added a 2000 sheet tray feeder to our Network 24
printer.  After some fussing with the settings, it was made to feed out of
the large tray rather than the small one. The next day it started feeding
out of the small tray again.

I played with the settings and got it working properly again.  A few days
later, it was feeding from the wrong tray *again*.  I reset it to feed from
the 2000 sheet tray, and this time put a sheet of bright pink paper in the
'wrong' tray with a note written on it to contact me if it came out.  (That
way I'd know right away when it started to select the wrong tray, not when
it ran out of paper!)  Several weeks went by and it didn't print on the
pink paper, so I took it out thinking the incident was a fluke.

Recently it started feeding out of the wrong tray again.  I just reset it
and tried to 'make' it lose the settings by turning it off and turning it
on again.  (It didn't lose the settings.)

The setting that is being lost is under the paper menu, tray renumbering
gets set from 1<>3 (which is what is needed to use the 2000 sheet feeder)
back to *OFF (which is what makes it go back and use tray 1 as the default
feed tray.)

(If anyone is looking at a user manual for this, I'm aware that the
documentation says you can only switch tray 1<>2, NOT 3, however the option
on our LCD panel says 1<>3, and it's what I was told (by IBM) to use, and
it works.)

Any clues as to why it's doing this?  It would be highly unusual for any of
the users to be playing with the buttons on the front panel, which as far
as I know *should* be the only way to reset it.

TIA,

Ilena Ayala