  • Subject: EMC presentation
  • From: "Marion, Bob" <Bob.Marion@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:18:16 -0500

I just got out of a presentation (sales job) from EMC, that they give us every
year or two about how EMCs DASD is superior.   Presently we have multiple TBs
of IBM internal ultra SCSI drives attached to 6532/6533 IOPs on multiple
AS/400s, using the 40MB bus.  We also follow IBMs white paper for the number of
disk arms per system, etc.  ***I have seen several opinions about EMC (good and
bad) on this list and I am looking for businesses that have switched either
way(IBM or EMC) due to support or performance issues (email privately if
desired).  Often it is easier for some managers to understand a list of
dissatisfied customers than explain all of the technical details.    The
presentation was fun as usually since EMC brought in there "expert" from
headquarters, and had three locals to support him.   Of course I had to correct
the expert several times on ASP storage technicques and main storage processes
on the AS/400.

They stated that  when a page of data (4MB page) is written to any vendors DASD
on an AS/400 that it reserves that track of DASD for only that file, so when
future data is added to disk for that file it will be contiguous on disk.  This
is why there "Track Cache" has a 60 to 85% hit ratio. I tried unsuccessfully to
explain scattered storage to them.   Also they stated expert cache for
mainstorage is usually not effective, *CALC ( however here we see up to a 70 %
improvement on some batch jobs)  ***  What have others on the list seen with
expert cache?    Although EMC DASD attaches to a 6501 which has a 20MB/sec
transfer rate and IBMs DASD attaches to a 6533 which has a 40MB/sec transfer
rate there DASD is faster? go figure.    Also I tried to explain even with if
data was contiguous (of course it is not) most people use a lot of logical
files to access data so it would be pointless to store data as such. ( Logical
files confused them), etc., etc., etc.     We  invited them t!
 o do head to head test with our current DASD config.  Run batch jobs  on our
test system using our current  IBM DASD and then switch to EMC DASD and run the
exact same job mix.  Has anyone on this list performed a true head to head test
such as this?  Thanks for your responses

Bob Marion
AS/400 Technical Support
Plano TX
EMail:  bob.marion@ps.net