Dear Dan,

One of the original IBM architectural decisions made for the mainframe (3270),
that was carried over to other SNA platforms including the IBM Midrange
environment, was a determination that block mode transmission would be selected
for display and printer data transport. One of the primary reasons for choosing
block mode was that display screens would be refreshed all at once even at
remote sites with very slow line speeds. One of the rules that IBM adopted in
conjunction with selecting block mode transport specified that only one data
type was allowed within a block.

When IBM began developing the Advanced Function Printing concept (AFP), they
ran into a small problem because they wanted to offer mixed data format support
on a page basis using a data stream transport (block mode) that didn't allow
mixed data types within a block. Their solution was to develop a method by
which the AFP print driver (PSF) would produce a data stream (IPDS or AFPDS)
that would build up a page by individual data type using the concept of
physical and logical pages.

If you look at an IPDS spool file on an AS/400, you will find that there is a
header at the beginning of the file that describes the size of the physical
page being used for printing. Individual pages within the spool file are
developed by issuing a start page command followed by logical page definitions
that place different data types onto certain areas of the physical page. When
the page is complete an end page command is issued which causes the printer to
print the page.

In your case, the field description for the Postnet bar code data in your
program is turned into a logical page description by PSF/400. The intent of the
bar code logical page description is to describe the area on the physical page
that will enclose the actual bar code to be built by the target IPDS printer.
The message you are receiving 041100 is telling you that the bar code to be
built will not fit into the logical page area described to the printer by PSF
(too big in the horizontal dimension) so the creation of the bar code was
cancelled.

You will probably need to increase the horizontal size of the field that holds
the bar code data in your program. This change will in turn prompt PSF/400 to
increase the size of the logical page, included in the spool file for the
Postnet bar code data, so that the Zip+4 bar code can be successfully created
by the target IPDS printer.

I've got the IPDS Handbooks for the 4028 and 3812/3816 printers that list the
meanings for many of the IPDS sense codes that will be returned to the AS/400
when an IPDS printer encounters a problem. I can send you the bar code sense
codes list if you think it could be useful.

Best of luck!

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606