  • Subject: Fw: IDDU linked files for S/36 flat files.
  • From: "Steve Glanstein" <mic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:59:31 -1000

Hi all:

Several businesses in town are looking at upgrading their S/36 to a 400
(Where have we heard this before) The year/2000 has accelerated this. Has
anybody else run into this problem with IDDU on CA/400? You actually "lose"
flexibility when you go to the newer version of CA/400 in this environment.

One new client has numerous transfers from PC/36 and they're not pleased...

Interested in anybody's thoughts on the matter. (Don't say go native...I've
tried this with them...all sorts of resistance.)

Steve Glanstein
mic@aloha.com

---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Stice/Rochester/IBM on 04-15-99
02:35 PM ---------------------------
|--------------+-----------------------------------------------------|
| APAR#:         SA57157                                             |
| Component:     5763XD100 - CLIENT ACCESS/400 FAMILY                |
| Release(s)     R310                                                |
|--------------+-----------------------------------------------------|

Abstract
CA400WINOPT-INCORROUT- DATA TRANSFER TRANSFERING IDDU LINKED
FILE INCORRECTLY

Error Description
 Data Transfer in Windows 95 is not transfering data from a
 IDDU linked file correctly. IDDU links could be created over
 AS/400 source physical files or S36 files.

 An IDDU link links a file definition to a program described
 or internally described file. Once a link has been established
 these otherwise 'flat files' behave like a database file.
 Instead of having a single field per record, these files
 then can have multiple fields with different data types.

 Data Transfer does not recognize any such link and would
 only download the file as if it were a flat ASCII TEXT with
 one field per record. Data transfer will only translate
 EBCDIC data to ASCII leaving any packed data or date
 data untranslated.

 No error message is generated for the incorrect transfer
 or for the untranslated data.

 Data transfer shiped with other Client Access products will
 recognize the fields as it were defined in the linked File
 Definition.

Local Fix (internal use)

Problem Summary
[...]

Problem Conclusion
 System/36 files are not supported by Data Transfer in the
 Client Access for Windows 95 client.

Add'l keywords : CWBDB0099 SQL0104 could be received on the
pc when trying to transfer a S/36 file to Win95 CA/400 pc.
Alternatives - convert the S/36 file to an AS/400 file and
then transfer the files using the transfer program.

Temporary Fix

Comments

Circumvention
None.

PTFs Available

Affected Modules
NONE

Affected Publications

Summary Information
Status................. CLOSED  PRS
Severity............... 2
HIPER.................. No
PIN.................... Yes
Reported Component..... 5763XD100
Fixed Component........
Failing Module.........
Reported Release....... R310
Reported Release PTF...
Latest Release PTF.....
FESN................... 0903318
Duplicate Of...........
Security Integrity.....
  IBM disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including, but
 not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for
 a particular purpose.  By furnishing this document, IBM grants no licenses
 to any  related patents or copyrights.  Copyright (c) 1996,1997,1998, 1999
 IBM Corporation.  Any trademarks and product or brand names referenced in
  this document are the property of their respective owners.  Consult your
            product manuals for complete trademark information.