  • Subject: Re: IFS Authorities
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:52:45 -0700

John, David, & anyone else interested in IFS authorities...

Here is a fairly detailed response thatI received from an
IBM'er who works with IFS.

Apparently IFS authorities differ from native DB2
authorities in that you must have *OBJMGT in order to copy a
file.  The IFS function must be more similar to a CRTDUPOBJ
than it is to a CPYF.

As with my Virtual Device description question, I'm not
crazy about the way that it works, but I am happy to know
the how and why now.

jte

--
John Earl   johnearl@toolnet.com

PowerTech Toolworks  206-575-0711
PowerLock Network Security www.toolnet.com
The 400 School   www.400school.com
--

The reason you can't copy
'/qibm/proddata/Java400/com/ibm/as400/system/Hello.java' when you don't

The reason that *OBJMGT is required for a copy is because the copy function
reads the authorities of the source object and sets them on the target
object.  The act of reading the authorities of an object requires *OBJMGT.

The reason that the message didn't name the object (*N came out instead)
was because the authority failure was detected inside of the file system.
The copy command attempts to determine which object (the source or the
target directory) didn't have sufficient authority.  The method that it
uses to determine this did not detect this particular authority failure, so
it displayed *N.

Jeff Parker, AS/400 Integrated File System
G8P/015-2 D203    507-253-4208    TieLine: 553-4208
Notes email: Jeff Parker/Rochester/IBM,  IBMUSM07(JJPARKER)
VM: RCHVMW2(JEFF)     AFS: jeff@rchland     INTERNET: jjparker@us.ibm.com

Karl Hanson
04/13/99 12:34 PM