From: Pat Barber [mailto:MBOCEANSIDE@postoffice.worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 6:01 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Creating and Overlay object

> i HAVE TRIED TO USE THIS feature too. I got to the stage of creating
my
> overlay and attaching it to a print file, but when I print the spool
> file, the overlay is not printed. Where am I going wrong.

Since this subject seems to continue on, I thought I would point out
that you have been able to use overlays for a number of years now..

It never has required CA/400 or a pc for that matter... What was used
was an old LP called Advanced Function Printing Utilities.. You could
use
that to create overlays, or you could have somebody else create the
overlay
for you(IBM did this for a while)... The killer in the whole deal was
that
it REQUIRED an IPDS printer... The ability to do it on pc printers came
later and you end up with this goat rodeo to get a finished product...

Another marketing disaster brought to you by those boys in blue...

This was a VERY neat feature that got thrown over the fence with hopes
that it would generate revenue.. I don't think it ever did, and lots of
users missed out on some very nice functions...

My question was: How can you design somthing you can't see ??? Again
the graphics(lack of) killed the whole deal... Try designing a complex
form(logos,blocks,shadow lines,etc) and NOT being able to see it...

The lack of a graphic  terminal was a major downfall for several
things that could have pushed the 400 way in front.
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com