  • Subject: Re: Routing Batch IBM Queries to Separate JOBQ
  • From: Carsten Flensburg <novasol@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:12:37 +0100

William N. Harrell, Jr. wrote:

> We are trying to find a way to route user's queries to a
> special JOBQ.  Batch queries get submitted with the Job
> Name of the user's JOBD.

Here's a tip from the NEWS/400 web site!

Best regards,
Carsten Flensburg

Query/400 User Profile Options

With V3R1 PTF SF32079, IBM added support for data area QQUPRFOPTS to
Query/400, letting you customize the runtime environment settings for a
user profile. At higher release levels, support for the data area is
included in Query/400. Figure 2 shows the new settings and options. In
the figure, "SBMJOB" refers to WRKQRY (Work with Queries) panel option
8, Run in batch.

To enable the new function, you must create data area QQUPRFOPTS in a
library contained in your library list. This way, you can control the
different settings through library list setup. To create the data area,
execute the following command:

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(yourlib/QQUPRFOPTS)        +
     TYPE(*CHAR)                            +
     LEN(80)                                +
     VALUE(settings)                        +
     AUT(*USE)                              +
     TEXT('Query/400 User Profile Options')

To ease maintenance, an operational approach would be to let the
appropriate settings point to a named job description specified in
positions 16 through 36 of the data area and then, for each data
area, to create an individual job description defining the referred
attributes. Changing a job description is easier and less error-prone
than changing a data area.

"Appropriate settings" refers to the attributes that have a possible
parameter value of *JOBD, except JOB which should have the value *QRY to
let users more easily identify their queries on the Work with Submitted
Jobs panel:

  Attribute:      Recommended value: Options available:
  RTGDTA . . . :  ' '                *JOBD, QCMDB
  OUTQ . . . . :  'J'                *JOBD, *CURRENT, *USRPRF, *DEV
  PRTDEV . . . :  'J'                *JOBD, *CURRENT, *USRPRF, *SYSVAL
  INQMSGRPY  . :  'J'                *JOBD, *RQD, *DFT, *SYSRPYL
  JOB  . . . . :  '*QRY'             *QRY, *JOBD, name
  JOBD . . . . :  'yourjobd jobdlib' name, *USRPRF
  JOBQ . . . . :  '*JOBD'            *JOBD, name

Create job description yourjobd with the RTGDTA, OUTQ, PRTDEV,
INQMSGRPY, and JOBQ attributes you want. Then, if you ever need to
change one or more of these attributes, you can use the CHGJOBD (Change
Job Description) command with its built-in parameter validity checker
instead of having to deal with the CHGDTAARA (Change Data Area) command
and its string offset and length requirements.

Figure 2:

Figure 2 - Query/400 user profile options

  Setting                 Position        Options

  Cursor placement        1               'N' = Cursor placement is
  when running in                          the same as when not
  debug mode                               in debug mode.
                                          ' ' = Place cursor on message
                                          line when screen is first
                                          displayed and message exists
                                          (same as now)

  RTGDTA parameter        2               'B' = QCMDB (QBATCH)
  for SBMJOB                              ' ' = *JOBD

  OUTQ parameter          3               'J' = *JOBD (default)
  for SBMJOB                              'C' = *CURRENT
                                          'U' = *USRPRF
                                          'D' = *DEV

  PRTDEV parameter        4               'J' = *JOBD (default)
  for SBMJOB                              'C' = *CURRENT
                                          'U' = *USRPRF
                                          'S'= *SYSVAL

  INQMSGRPY parameter     5               'J' = *JOBD (default)
  for SBMJOB                              'R' = *RQD
                                          'D' = *DFT
                                          'S' = *SYSRPYL

  JOB parameter          6-15             *JOBD = Job desciption name
is
  for SBMJOB                              used.
                                          *QRY = Query definition name
is
                                          used.
                                          name = 10-character
name
                                          associated a with query batch
                                          job.

  JOBD parameter         16-35            *USRPRF = Job description from
  for SBMJOB                              user profile is used
                                          name = 10 + 10 character names
                                          of job description + library.

  JOBQ parameter         36-55            *JOBD = Job description job
  for SBMJOB                              queue is used.
                                          name = 10 + 10 character names
                                          of job queue + library.